Monday, August 26, 2013

Coming of Age Final Draft

             Coming  of age is learning from problems and applying it to how you live now. Everyone has at least one thing or person that has changed them and  how they do and act towards things. It forms who they are today and will be the next day.

            My eighth grade year was a breeze... educationally, I was able to sleep in class and still get A's and some B's but I only slept for a few reasons. I slept because for one I watched anime until about 3-4 o'clock A.M.  People in the same class as me would say,  "Wow, how can you sleep and still get A's?" and I just say "I don't know, it just happens". Eventually I slept so much I just talked less, simply because I was unmotivated .But there was one someone that I don't even know how I came to talk to as much as I did,  a someone named Adrian.

            It was at this time where I had no motivation at all and I didn't even bother to look at my grades, I was just a complete mess and a gloomy person that didn't know what to do with himself, I was in one of the lowest slumps of my life. As soon as history started I took my seat by a classmate named Adrian whom I have known since Kindergarten and fell asleep. About halfway into the class Adrian wakes me up saying, "Join the herd," with a very stern look,  he then slid over his laptop to present to me, "My Little Pony Friendship is Magic," in my half-awake state I really didn't know what to say from his serious look to what was on his laptop's screen besides, "I'll watch it later," then quickly positioning myself for another nap.  A few days after,  Adrian continuously  urged me to watch it, I thought well it's pretty short so why not. I gave into his demands and watched the whole 1st season in one night. I thought it was really weird why he chose me of all people to watch the show,  but what I learned from the show is that no matter how complex a problem is the solution is always simple as long as you are willing to accomplish it. The show gradually made Adrian and me closer and it also let me sort out some of the problems I was having. My connection through Adrian made me more motivated to stay up in class, get  higher grades, and even have a fun school experience.

     Adrian gradually took me out of my comfort zone by watching My Little Pony, talking to me about Yu-Gi-Oh, games, jokes, and anime. It was one day that it hit me, as I was watching Adrian do what he always does, I thought to myself, "He knows what he wants." .Watching him just being free to do what he wanted to do and not being ashamed was really something I am not capable of.  This made me really reevaluate myself and I challenge myself to be more open about myself, do better things with my time, and also being able to reach goals. That year I tried out for track, basketball, and even started to aim for higher grades. To this day those decisions have changed my life, my higher understanding got me placed for geometry instead of algebra 1 , and for going to track and basketball it increased my physical fitness to join track. I even joined hurdles just to challenge myself.

            My eighth grade year really changed my life and all it took was a few people to motivate me back. Having a person influence you is a really important thing to have because it's like a ripple turning to a wave. The small decisions made from what you are influenced by can steer into much bigger things. Some are bad and some are good, in my case it set me on the right course again. At the end of the day, all we have is who we are and everyday it can change as another day comes for new decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment