Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Draft of final draft

My Grandma's dish of spaghetti with her mouth-watering sauce which is made from love and hard-work has been known in the family for a few years now, Her traditonal dish was first started around 1957 which was around the same time she purchased a house in Kalihi Valley, she would have bought countless other houses but she chose that house because it fit her budget and it was also a very amazing house to this day and can still get a lot of extensions. She usually makes it for special occcasion mostly of which is when she's in a good mood, besides the occasionly happy moods, she'll make spaghetti for every birthday. If I remember correctly , it was either my Grandma or Grandpa that said to me something similar to "Eat all the noodles on your plate, the longer the noodle the longer your life so eat up!", Another thing added personally for me from most of my family members is "Don't stop eating you need to put on weight, That's why your arms look like bone! or walking noodle, etc." Although if it's a huge event like a group of people's graduation, then there may be a slight chance of her making her spaghetti for everyone to enjoy at that time.

  As I asked my Mom every question in the living room, she slowly answered thinking about every answer so it wouldn't sound to confusing. I asked her first "Since when did Grandma start making her special recipe" the question took quite a while to answer, she answered " Ever since I could remember, it's been a tradition for a long time."  At the correct moment my Grandma so happened to walk into the room and my Mom repeated the same question to her but asking for a more specific time , as she slowly recalls the first time she made it, she said " Around the time I bought this house, which was around say 1957." My grandma then slowly takes a seat on the couch. Another key question was also "What do you think interests her about it? Why?" As my Mom did not come to an answer, my Grandma answers, "It was my favorite dish and I love it." My Mom also adds "She mostly loves Italian dishes."
 
   The way my Grandma makes her spaghetti is first she puts the dried spaghetti in clean water until it absorbs the water to the point that you can see the water visibly evaporate from the bowl and you can also see the spaghetti thicken from the absorbed water, she then boils the starchy spaghetti that is sticking together. Then, she puts it carefully inside a clean strainer and thoroughly washes it in warm water to ensure the starch doesn't make the spaghetti stick together. She then makes the mouth-watering sauce which is emphasized by ingredients that she adds. She adds he main ingredient which is of course tomato sauce, she then adds all of these mysterious ingredients that someone who doesn't cook would probably not even know of. She then puts the some what hot speaghetti in a bowl purs that fresh-off-the over heat and taste that makes the sauce taste better that slowly drips down and heats up the already hot spaghetti. She tries to be careful of the amount so there isn't to much but also not too little on the spaghetti.

   I would usually let something freshly cooked like spaghetti sit there for 5-10 minutes to let the sauce spread on it's own. One thing I like about spaghetti is that you can add a few things to it to suit my unique tastes, so I add a few things of my own like Parmesian Cheese that was in it's powdery form, Tobasco Sauce which is a hot sauce that I put on a few things to the point where it makes another person eating my food cry a bit. After I put on all of my own personal additions to the dish I finally spin the noodles around my fork and pick up as much as I can, and then i take a bite then another to the point where the plate is cleared with the exception of the sauce, and then seconds and so on and so on until I feel satisfied with my hunger.

No comments:

Post a Comment